The internet is a powerhouse for word of mouth communication. This can be both good and bad for your business. Negative reviews can last long after whatever issue caused them are resolved and can turn customers away, before they even talk to you.
Reputation Management involves managing the perception of your business to the general public.
In the digital world of the internet there are businesses that do this well, and there are ones that do it so bad that it must be effecting their sales.
A good example of a bad one is from a company that runs an online trading platform. For this example, we will call them Eshade. Eshade has a company Facebook that is riddled with negative and scam comments that make the company look fraudulent and incompetent. A Google search brings up several review sites where the company is rated poorly and accused of withholding money from heirs when one of their customers die. Eshade is running an active content marketing campaign that is allowing users to vent grievances and others to post links to fraudulent websites. They are paying for this content. None of this makes Eshade look good, and it probably turns more than a few potential customers away from their company and to their competitors.
Your company is probably nothing like Eshade. You answer the phone when it rings. But you still need to manage your company’s reputation online.
Reputation Management in the digital world of the internet involves managing both Company controlled assets (such as social media, websites, and directories), and non controlled assets (such as review sites, other websites and social media). Even the best company cannot keep everyone happy, but the happier they are, the easier reputation management becomes. It can even be a company asset itself in the form of positive reviews and word of mouth.
Here are some easy tips you can do to help ensure your company’s reputation is protected.
- Create social media accounts on all major platforms. This will not only help customers find your company, but will also provide your company a voice.
- Read and respond to all comments both negative and positive.
- Read and respond to reviews both positive and negative.
- Find the groups your customers use to recommend and research products and services.
- Add testimonials to your social media and website.
There are some things to consider when replying to reviews and comments
- Always be professional, particularly in cases where you do not want too.
- If able to do so, delete comments that are either spam or untrue. Reply publicly to all other comments and reviews.
- If there is a solution, put the general outline of that solution in your reply publicly.
- Try to think of situations from the customer’s perspective when replying.
Reputation management is a powerful tool in an overall digital marketing strategy. A positive reputation can increase brand loyalty and repeat customers. It also attracts new customers through positive comments and reviews.
If you don’t have time to manage your business and be updated on your digital reputation, consider hiring a marketing company to help out. Brayson Management can handle all of your Reputation Management needs. See our services section for details.